February 20, 2016

It smells like sadness...

Y'all know Diva Kitty. She's been my friend for forever, since about a year after I started blogging. We "met" outside of blogging in 2006, when we got together at the Jelly Belly Factory so that she and out blogging bug Mattingly could hand off the torch to me for the Catlympics.


I think those are DK's ears on the right...Mattingly was in the middle. But we had a fun day, even though our photographer sucked.

A few years later--I don't know why it took so freaking long--the Woman met Diva Kitty's mom in person, and they started doing things together, which meant that every now and then the Woman would come home smelling like DK, or sometimes her mom came over and smelled like her, too.

How often do blogging kitties get that close to really meeting? And how often do they get to smell each other, to where it smells like happiness?

That's what Diva Kitty smelled like. She smelled like happiness. Even though she was pretty freaking grumpy (another reason I loved her so) she was so well cared for and so deeply loved that she couldn't help that the happiness rode on her furs and then traveled around with the people.

Yesterday, Diva Kitty--whose real name was Sophia--made her journey to the Bridge. She was 18 years old, but that doesn't seem like enough time for someone so wonderful.


I hate that her mom is so heartbroken, because I know the DK-sized hole in her heart isn't going away any time soon. And I hate that I will never again smell her on the Woman's hands.

Knowing that? It smells like sadness right now, and I am still leaking because it's kind of hard to believe.

Sophia...you are going to be truly and deeply missed. Find Skeezix and all our other buds up there, and have a wicked good time...and save a sun puddle for me. I don't know when I'll get there, but I know you're one of the first I want to see.

Not saying goodbye. Just...see you on the flipside.

21 comments:

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Oh, Max.
Miss Sophia is in really great company at the Bridge.
Toffee

Random Felines said...

Purrs....lots and lots of purrs

Lucy Furr said...

Purrs an headbonks for all. Look up Jasmine kitty and let her know she is still missed. Took my person some time before she finally got my name right all the time. That's ok though, I know she was loved because I am spoiled rotten. (Don't tell the woman I said that.)

Summer said...

I was so sorry to hear this. Purrs to DK's human.

Mighty Kitty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mighty Kitty said...

It does smell like sadness. Diva was a beautiful kitty! Her mom must be in deep pain! Please give them my hugs and sympathies. I know the pain this causes.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I also was very sad to hear that DK has gone to the Bridge. She has many old friends to meet up with there. My purrs go to her mom.

Shaggy and Scout said...

Sophia was one of mine and Scooby's very first blogging buds too, also dating way back to '06. She was one in a billion, a treasure, a beauty. Our hearts and moms are sad at her passing, and shes been holding me tighter these days too, since I'm 15 now and getting up there. -Shaggy

Shaggy and Scout said...

Sophia was one of mine and Scooby's very first blogging buds too, also dating way back to '06. She was one in a billion, a treasure, a beauty. Our hearts and moms are sad at her passing, and shes been holding me tighter these days too, since I'm 15 now and getting up there. -Shaggy

Jans Funny Farm said...

We used to read Diva Kitty's blog but sometime, somehow we lost the link. We found it on FB when her mom posted the sad link about Sophia. Very sorry you lost such a good friend.

Gemini and Ichiro said...

We were so upset to know that Sophia went to the bridge. She was Diva Kitty--and certainly an icon in the blogosphere to those of us who were around forever. She will be very missed-

Mickey's Musings said...

We also lost contact with Diva Kitty.
She was a really cool cay and we are sorry she is gone.
Purrs to her family.
Purrs Georgia and Julie,
Treasure and JJ

Robyn and The (Mostly) Badass Cat said...

We're sad she's gone and can only imagine how sad DKM is. Definitely smells like sadness. Purrrs, The Hotties

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Yes it smells of terrible sadness.
We are awfully sad... sad that our friend went to the RB and sad that DKM is feeling the full loss of all those years. They become our woven so deeply in lives, we never think we'll be without them, and then they run off and away from our grasp. I like to think that they wait for us, I chose to believe that they do because I don't think I could bear not being able to see my beloved Abby again one day and she me. Miss you for now Miss Diva Sophia until we meet again.

Stacy Hurt said...

Not gone, just gone on ahead.
Xoxo

Stacy Hurt said...

Not gone, just gone on ahead.
Xoxo

Just Ducky said...

this one hit mum hard, she was all leaky eyed too.

Ivan from WMD said...

What a very sad week it was. We were very sad to learn about DK, too. :-(

DKM said...

I promise to still visit Mr. Max and bring over Fiona Bun smells :)

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

There is never enough time for all the love to be known...

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

So sorry to hear about DK. Glad you are still around Max. We've missed all our friends!