January 18, 2013

How to get a people's attention



Only maybe not fall off the freaking counter...

In other news...the edits on my book are going pretty quick; it's not a super long book, so that speeds it up a little, but we are finding some chunks that are going to require major rewrites. This isn't surprising, it happens every time. Something that seems really funny the first time around falls flat when read later, or something that made sense really doesn't. There are sections where the Woman wrote stuff like this:

[XMAS. YOUNGER HUMAN. MUCH BETTER SMELLING FRIEND]

And then we have to sit back and try to figure out what the hell that even meant.

In any case, with the first draft in the can and the first pass of seeing what needs to be fixed, added to, subtracted from, and obliterated, we have a pretty good idea of the tone of the book (you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll tell 900 of your friends) and the Woman has sent a really, really, really rough draft/outline to the editor so she can 1) prepare herself, because she's old and needs prep time, and 2) talk to an art person about conjuring up cover art.

Now, *I* want to be on the cover because this is my book and it's all about me, but the Woman won't commit to that because--she SAYS--I don't pose well for the camera. And what she didn't say...if someone was going to take a bunch of pictures of me it would have to be done here, and that would mean that she has to clean the house, and the odds of that happening are slim to holy-hell-no.

Lazy, lazy, lazy.

And you're still watching that kitty slide off the counter, aren't you?

13 comments:

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

That kitty looks a lot like you in the face, but we know you are not that silly!

Karen Jo said...

It's hard to stop watching that kitty slide off the counter. He/she looks reall nipped out. I look forward to your new book.

Sparkle said...

Of course you should be on the cover, Max - just have your human put you in a place where the background can easily be cropped out! That's what happened with my cover.

Vicat said...

What is the title going to....what the fluff is up with his head and neck??
~Vicat

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Max, I can only say of course the edits go fast because you are a brilliant cat. I am sure the areas where things need editing are the areas where something was lost as she typed...

Unknown said...

Yous is ABOSLUELY RIGHT! Me sat up and tooked notice when me saw that cat and me tried to reach out and touch it!
Now what was yous saying about the book....?
Kisses
Nellie

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Yeah, we're watching the kitty. Its what they say in the military, "An Arch Too Far"!

Just Ducky said...

Well your mum must not have been taking good notes when you meowed it to her. Now she has to fix it.

Cover shot, we know it is your book, but what about Buddah's butt shot?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

The Island Cats said...

That's one crazy cat!

Anonymous said...

Well Max....that Kitty falling off the counter is enough to make a person invest in some Depends for sure! I thank you for your wit and wisdom. That cat sure looked like you. Was it? Or not?

Stacy Hurt said...

Now we hopes no kitty was harmed when they was tryin to be so big & they was so askeerd that they felled right off the table. Miss Jack over here gets so into her baffs sometimes hers falls right of the back of da sofa; sometimes she falls off backwards offa the ottoman too. We all try really hard not to laffs.

Hope you and Buddah are well, we await your new tome.

xoxo
Ms. Stella O'Houligan

Roses said...

I have a box full of notes just like The Woman's that I wrote in the late 1980s. I'd bet more than half of them I wrote in the middle of the night because I dreamed something I thought was really cool.

If I had a hundred monkeys type those notes out, I bet it'd make one heck of a great book to read while completely stoned on The Nip.

Anonymous said...

OMC! It almost looks like the kitty is being pulled by a fishing line attached to its left front paw. I sure hope no human would be that mean and that the kitty had just been partaking in some especially fine nip.