February 24, 2018

We have a mockup!

Doods. We're in the final stretch with the new book and we got a cover mockup and I so so totally digging it.


This isn't, like, the final final cover. Things will get tweaked around a bit and if we can get a blurb from someone, that'll be on it. Fonts might change. But everything is in the editor's and beta readers' hands, and once they're done it won't take long before it goes to print. Things are pretty well set up to have it hit the printer a week after the edits are done.

Would have been done already but we sent the editor the next book, too, and she got distracted by it.

Couple people asked me, too, if there were going to be more After Dark books after this one or only Chronicle books...straight up answer, I don't know. We went with After Dark because 1) we got asked a lot about doing a more adult Emperor story and 2) these were stories best told with a more adult theme. But the things we have planned after this don't necessarily need that.

And to be honest, except for some of the language, The Blessings of Saint Wick could have easily been a Chronicles book. To remain true to a couple characters, it went into After Dark, but as stories evolve, so do characters, and the few f-bombs that might occur after this can be covered with Wick subbing "freaking" or even allowing a few to slip in.

Someone else asked what happens to the whole thing a ways down the road, given that I'm almost 17 now. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of pages of notes and the Woman knows where I want this to go. It will all depend on how clearly she can hear my voice...'cause y'all know I'll be complaining right in her ear all the way from the Bridge.

I have no plans to go there any time soon, but just so you know. We've worked it out.

Oh, and I did this to her while we were at the stabby place on Thursday.

I was trying to jump onto her shoulder, because Wick rides on shoulders and why can't I? But apparently a 14 pound cat climbing a person is different than a 6 pound cat, and gravity does things, and the nit thing you know your back claw gets caught in a neck, and everyone is unhappy.

She didn't get mad or anything. Didn't even flinch. So she gets points for that.

Also, now I know I can stab her without repercussions.

6 comments:

Maureen K. said...

Great cover, Max! And I hope the woman
is recovering from her wound!

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

We ADMIRE the return stabby Max! Way to return the favor!

Eastside Cats said...

How exciting to be this far into the book process, Max!

Mighty Kitty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mighty Kitty said...

Wow! Spiffy book cover! I hope that you get to write many many more. I am very impressed. Hope the woman is getting over the wound.

Hnossa said...

Tiny pills in chunks of delicious dead things, Mr Max. You can do it! Maybe don't take it with the first piece, go for seconds.

Butter is good, too. That's how the human mommy got the wormy pills in me.

Hope you're here for many more years and many more books